John R. Howard Fine Art focuses on buying and selling of historical items pertaining to 19th and early 20th century Montana and pre-Montana statehood eras. Areas of interest include: military, cowboys, Indians, trappers, cattleman, mining, Lewis and Clark, etc.
Books are the main material of interest but others include:
- Documents: journals, maps, newspapers, advertisements, letters, diaries etc.
- Antiques: furniture, hardware
- Indian artifacts
- Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks
Ultimately anything from the early Montana period may be of interest to the gallery and its purveyors.
Some of the highlights of the current collection include:
- Lewis and Clark Journals
- Original Virginia City, Hellgate/Missoula, Helena newspapers
- Original ranching brand books
- Early Montana photographs
- Early Blackfoot and Crow beadwork and pictorial hides
- Historical mounts
- Buffalo and longhorn chairs and ensembles
Call us. We are always willing to discuss various materials of interest. Appraisal, purchasing and restoration/conservation services are available. Or if you wish, schedule an appointment to visit the gallery.
Image by Steven Beigleitier
Gallery showings by appointment only.